Content Enhancer is a native Joomla 1.5 extension that allows you to define content items and content replacements. Content items are variables or constants that could be used in many places across the web site. Content replacements are a way to replace predefined content part(by text or regular expression) with other content(static or dynamic). Content Enhancer also gives the ability to use content items in module parameters.
If this sounds too abstract or unclear, here are some examples.
Sample content items:
- a static link, for example "index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5"
- a dynamic link, for example "index.php?option=my_component&id=[request:id]"
- a frequently used term with explanation: term
- a random number or text defined by a list of possible values: Hi,Hallo,Good day
- anything else - the definition mechanism is flexible and easily extendable
Where you can use them:
- in articles
- in modules
- in module parameters
Sample content replacements:
- replace the text [my_link] with some frequently used link
- replace "car" with an HTML that pops up an advertisment when the user moves the mouse cursor over "car"
More detailed explanation of content items, content replacements and the benefits of using them could be found here.
Video tutorials are now available for Content Enhancer. You can watch them here.